Dr. Sebi’s nutrition guide details specific foods allowed on the diet, including:
- Fruits: apples, cantaloupe, currants, dates, figs, elderberries, papayas, berries, peaches, soft jelly coconuts, pears, plums, seeded key limes, mangoes, prickly pears, seeded melons, Latin or West Indies soursop, tamarind
- Vegetables: avocado, bell peppers, cactus flower, chickpeas, cucumber, dandelion greens, kale, lettuce (except iceberg), mushrooms (except shiitake), okra, olives, sea vegetables, squash, tomatoes (only cherry and plum), zucchini
- Grains: fonio, amaranth, Khorasan wheat (kamut), rye, wild rice, spelt, teff, quinoa
- Nuts and Seeds: Brazil nuts, hemp seeds, raw sesame seeds, raw tahini butter, walnuts
- Oils: avocado oil, coconut oil (uncooked), grapeseed oil, hempseed oil, olive oil (uncooked), sesame oil
- Herbal teas: elderberry, chamomile, fennel, tila, burdock, ginger, raspberry
- Spices: oregano, basil, cloves, bay leaf, dill, sweet basil, achiote, cayenne, habanero, tarragon, onion powder, sage, pure sea salt, thyme, powdered granulated seaweed, pure agave syrup, date sugar
In addition to tea, you are allowed to drink water.
Plus, you may eat permitted grains in the form of pasta, cereal, bread, or flour. However, any food leavened with yeast or baking powder is banned.
Foods to avoid
Any foods that are not included in the Dr. Sebi nutrition guide are not permitted, such as:
- canned fruit or vegetables
- seedless fruit
- red meat
- soy products
- processed food, including take-out or restaurant food
- fortified foods
- sugar (besides date sugar and agave syrup)
- yeast or foods risen with yeast
- foods made with baking powder
Furthermore, many vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts, and seeds are banned on the diet.
Only foods listed in the guide may be eaten.
The diet limits any food that is processed, animal-based, or made with leavening agents. Certain vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts, and seeds are not allowed.
- Breakfast: 2 banana-spelt pancakes with agave syrup
- Snack: 1 cup (240 ml) of green juice smoothie made with cucumbers, kale, apples, and ginger
- Lunch: kale salad with tomatoes, onions, avocado, dandelion greens, and chickpeas with olive oil and basil dressing
- Snack: herbal tea with fruit
- Dinner: vegetable and wild-rice stir-fry
- Breakfast: shake made with water, hemp seeds, bananas, and strawberries
- Snack: blueberry muffins made with blueberries, pure coconut milk, agave syrup, sea salt, oil, and teff and spelt flour
- Lunch: homemade pizza using a spelt-flour crust, Brazil-nut cheese, and your choice of vegetables
- Snack: tahini butter on rye bread with sliced red peppers on the side
- Dinner: chickpea burger with tomato, onion, and kale on spelt-flour flatbread
- Breakfast: cooked quinoa with agave syrup, peaches, and pure coconut milk
- Snack: chamomile tea, seeded grapes, and sesame seeds
- Lunch: spelt-pasta salad with chopped vegetables and an olive oil and key lime dressing
- Snack: a smoothie made with mango, banana, and pure coconut milk
- Dinner: hearty vegetable soup using mushrooms, red peppers, zucchini, onions, kale, spices, water, and powdered seaweed
- Rule 1. You must only eat foods listed in the nutritional guide.
- Rule 2. Drink 1 gallon (3.8 liters) of water every day.
- Rule 3. Take Dr. Sebi’s supplements an hour before medications.
- Rule 4. No animal products are permitted.
- Rule 5. No alcohol is allowed.
- Rule 6. Avoid wheat products and only consume the “natural-growing grains” listed in the guide.
- Rule 7. Avoid using a microwave to prevent killing your food.
- Rule 8. Avoid canned or seedless fruits.